Topic: VoiceLIve2 gurgling sounds with harmony LIVE & Bypass issues

hey

I am using VoiceLive 2 for LIVE performances, with latest updates installed.

Set up - VL2 connected to our mixer with midi out to audio interface (running Ableton LIVE on computer and triggering my BPMs from LIVE), plus midi through to a drum machine.  Mixer goes to our PA system at home using Mackie 450s.

I use various harmony settings which I trigger on and off eg octave above and below, distorted guitar, autotune (for fun as a crazy effect).  I also set the gain as per instructions by singing my loudest to get the right levels.

When we rehearse at home using setting above, the voice effects sound ok (we switched off gate though & pitch control) but during the last 2 LIVE performances, when we connect to a house PA and use their monitors, via our mixing desk, the harmonies give this gurgling & distorted sound, as if there is a crazy chorus effect on it.

Also, when I hit the bypass button during LIVE performance, I just get feedback, so can't use this function.  Of course it works fine at home :-)

Any suggestions as to what might be causing these problems please?

thanks

Re: VoiceLIve2 gurgling sounds with harmony LIVE & Bypass issues

Hiya Lucky,

I would suggest you contact TC-Helicon's support team via www.tc-helicon.com/support.asp so they can troubleshoot and solve these issues with you.

Best wishes,

Joey

I know this is an old thread, but FWIW I think I know what this is all about ...

In a live performance, leakage into the microphone is a major problem. When the harmonies are switched on, the signal presented from the microphone is harmonised.  If there is serious leakage, that leakage will be harmonised too.  Very possibly the leakage will cause the note detection algorithm to have problems too.  It's not the fault of the harmoniser - it's a problem with the microphone or the way it's being used.  I've just purchased a Crown CM311 headset mic, which has excellent rejection of unwanted sound.  You can wear this mic right on your lips and scream into it without it sounding bad - the ultimate way to avoid unwanted leakage.

In a live performance, leakage into the microphone is a major problem. When the harmonies are switched on, the signal presented from the microphone is harmonised.  If there is serious leakage, that leakage will be harmonised too.

I’ll definitely be updating the blog with any news on the outcome.