Re: What's Your Favorite Style

Ouch, am I in the right place!!!? smile
My favourite singers are(in no particular order):

Dave Matthews (Maaan his voice voice changed the last few years)
Ben Taylor!!
Frank Sinatra
Jason Mraz

and Yeah, thx Jamie for the RYV e-book. I almost feel angry with evolving as a singer in just the first week of training! (Why didn't I start earlier!!??)

I have a cold at the moment and I sing better now than I did before, when I wasn't sick.

Christian
Sweden

Last edited by JackBNimble (2007-09-08 03:35:29)

Wylde's choices:

1.  Sebastian Bach
2.  Sammy Hagar
3.  DLR - Yup .....that attitude in his voice!
4.  Michael Sweet
5.  David Coverdale

1-Richie Kotzen
2-Glenn Hughes
3-Coverdale
4-Mike Patton
5-Phik Anselmo (on cowboys from hell-amazing tones and range listen to cemetary gates....)

If your still asking i would say Metal and bands like Queensryche, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, and many more my band does Queensryche I don't believe in Love & Dream Theater Pull me Under so they are my faves to sing.

check out the web and lsten to our bad demo's ha ha living room recordings Rock!!
www.gunmetalgrey.co.uk

If any of you are into opera Rock, a friend of mine played a full concert DVD of www.kamelot.com
and I was blown away. Wait until you hear Kahn (lead singer) just perfect for what he does.
Let me know what you think.http://www.kamelot.com/downloads.htm  "March of Mephisto"
Amazing.
BC

Bruce dickinson
Rob halford
Michael vescera (he is great too)
Steve perry
MR Sammy hagar
Joey tempest
Anders Zackrisson (ex noctural rites singer)
Michael kiske
michael sweet (stryper) he is just awesome!!
Sebastian bach (he has his moments...)
those are my mentors.........

KISKIPUICH

Aetio wrote:

Mi favorite singers are:

Roy Khan- Kamelot
James Labrie-DT
Michael Kiske-Helloween (keeper of the seven keys albums)

Ralf Scheepers-Gamma Ray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N5DGrTKeCM

Mark Boals-ynwgie,Mark Boals
Adrian Barilari-Rata Blanca
Edu Falaschi-Angra
Andi Deris-Helloween

AGREE WITH YOU !!!
about
Adrian Barilari

not agree about Andi deris for me he is not as good as Kiske
sorry

KISKIPUICH

My #1 and #2 are sadly no longer with us:  Brad Delp and Freddie Mercury

Ronnie James Dio
Joe Lynn Turner
Ian Gillan
Lou Graham
Sammy Hagar
Rik Emmett

And the list grows every year

My favorite singers are:
James LaBrie
Robert Lunte (I can't wait for your album, yeah I should probably buy the EP)
Ronnie James Dio
Andrew Wood (Too bad he died with such a huge future ahead of him)
Michele Luppi
Bruce Dickinson
Chris Cornell
Steve Alder
Marvin Gaye
Kurt Cobain
Dave Mustaine
Prince
Ray Gillen
Many more...
My two favorite female vocalists, well you probably won't know these bands both are from South Africa where I live.
Inge Beckman - http://www.myspace.com/larksa   
Cherilyn MacNeil -  http://www.myspace.com/harristweedmusic

I think Gladys Knight, Jeff Buckley, Tony Bennett, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Martina McBride, George Strait, Brian Johnson, Dio and Robert Plant are some of my all time favs.

James Lugo's Vocal Asylum
Hollywood, California. USA
http://www.JamesLugo.com
http://www.myspace.com/jameslugo

Hi guys! Finally someone says Glenn Hughes...he's in the top 3 of all time...I recommend you to listen to his interpretation and his technique on Nostradamus the Nikolo Kotzev's Rock opera...after the release of the album Hughes said that he had the voice really bad...my god...I also recommend the song "The Price you gotta pay" from the Mr Big Tribute (Influence and connections or something like that) this is one of the best...How can I forget Freddy...Man! I have to thank him for show me how to move on stage...Long live to Freddy Mercury...At this time my biggest influences are Sir Russell Allen (he got the feeling man! you should listen to his solo Album), Jorn Lande (Did you hear guys his version with Masterplan of Black Dog?), Khan (he feels every note...) and Circus maximus's Singer Mike Eriksen (he got a great voice, very long register and always on tune). Ah!! Now I see I forgot one of the best...Andre Matos...the best singer from South America...I like the voice of james labrie when he is singin lower melodies ( he has a lot of pasion)...I don't like his high notes...I like a lot of singers maybe I forgot a few... but that's it...

See ya guys!

My personal favorite is M Shadows; his screaming voice is spot on, and doesn't ever get too shouty for me the way a lot of other vocalists do.  His singing voice has so much power.  Bruce Dickenson and Sebastian Bach are two melodic singers with powerful voices that have incredible range.  Axl Rose I love for his higher vocals.  So basicallly, I want the screams of M Shadows, the power and range of Bruce/Sebastian, and the falsetto of Axl Rose.  Obviously, my favorite style of singing is metal, more specifically metalcore.

Psssss- I know how M. Shadows does the multi-harmonic thing at the beginning of Bat Country;)

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com
theultimatevocalworkout.com

Wow, I'm in the minority around here I guess, because I can't stand a lot of that 80s metal style! lol.
That, and I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Maynard James Keenan. One of my absolute favorites, ever.
Okay, here's my list in no particular order:

Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer)
Josh Groban
Michael Buble
Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch)
Darroh Sudderth (Fair to Midland--- AMAZING!)
Cat Stevens
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
Gavin Hayes (Dredg-- Go listen to them NOW!)
Chester Bennington... not a huge fan of Linkin Park, but I really like this guy.
Sarah MacLachlan
Howard Jones (Killswitch Engage)
Randall Blythe (Lamb of God... evil.)
Freddie Friggin Mercury (you didn't know his middle name was Friggin, didja?)

There is so much great stuff out there. There are a lot of great local (Olympia) bands whose singers I think are awesome too, like Aram Wheeler from Wide Eye Panic, Sherry Fraser from Two Ton Boa is AMAZING, I HIGHLY recommend looking those groups up on myspace or something. I love the small scenes here in Washington. There is such great talent.
So that's all I can think of right now. smile
PEACE.
-zaccharias-

This is an interesting discussion  for myself I like to do my own thing. My voice is opera, my heart is rock, blues and from there I stretch and am influenced in many directions. People in hearing me espeacially live assume it's Geoff Tate which is way off( i think thats from some of Kyles technique) most of my foundational influences are only very subtlely noticeable.
( i'm referring to vocals only here and not technique only style)
Theres a lot i like! Starting off I grew up in a very old fashioned traditional european house hold Caruso,maria callas,renata tabaldi and other Opera greats were like breakfest so they are kind of ingrained.
my first non opera likes(some of which i still like ,some i don't they've chaned) early pre disco bee gees( great simple harmonies), Bread, Buckingham/ nicks pre fleetwood mac,fleetwood mac pre-stevie nicks, karen carpenter, jim morrison,jefferson airplane
next came- journey, The original Heart, judas priest, deep purple,the cars,foriegner, billy squire,ramones, early U2 on the imports,scorpions,ac/dc, iron maiden, black sabbath, boston, old elton john, Aerosmith
then Queensryche came in lol along with, the cult, shriekback and a lot of stranger more experimental groups there were really too many to list. I still find Karen carpenters voice to have had some very exceptional warm quality to it. Other then Opera since 1990 or so I don't keep other music around much. I will for example buy a Queensryche release listen to it for a week or so and then give it away, same with all the rest. I listen to various radio stations of all musical types and just do my own thing. I find i'm draw to other artists as the round out my observing, learning and loose interest after. Can't say I'm a great fan of any one in particular, but i respect different qualities of different vocalist and artist. Billy joel,elton john, barry manillow are great simple storytellers. Bon jovi, twisted sister and the bands of their like great athems, the same with hardcore rap just different formats. I generally like most progressive metal, Not much trash metal these days but used to listen to all that years ago.

OmniMediaMasters Mainsite Administration- http://www.MajesticPlanet.com  , Check out my new videos on my  MySpace: http://www.Myspace.com/KingofPanormos

Yeah you know, the more I teach different styles, the more I appreciate other singers;)

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

My favorites! There is no particular order.

Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Kurt Cobain, Jason Wade, John Rzeznik, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Hyde.

huh?  I guess vocalists with range.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

guys..please listen to John Farnham...one of my fav ever:-)
he did an australian version of Jesus Christ Superstar...ok Ted Neely and Gillan did history..but his guys is kicking asses!!!!!

Alessandro Del Vecchio
Vocal coach and recording artist for Ian Paice, Glenn Hughes, Jeff Scott Soto, Carmine Appice, Andre Matos, Bob Harris, Steve Walsh and many others...ehm..too many;-)
www.myspace.com/alessandrodelvecchio

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave)
Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge)
Kevin Martin (Candlebox)
Travis Bracht (Peace and Silence, Second Coming, Soulbender)
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains, Mad Season)

lou graham, brad gelpt, steve walsh/perry,tommy shaw, Christian Castro, paul rogers

Theatre - JC in JCSS x2, Bands - DIRTYOTTO (Classic Rock,Classic Disco)
Mic - Nuemann KMS105bk, TC-Helicon VoiceLive..
Raise your voice baby!! Thanks Jaime and all you awesome instructors

These are the names I want to hear:-)ehehehehe
Lou Gramm....what a voice..what a singer...my God...
I have worked with Steve Walsh..he lost his good times voice...but he still kicks asses!!!
And what about the VOICE? Mr. Paul Rodgers....everybody in the seventies leart the blue fomr this guy..Ian Gillan, Glenn hughes, David Coverdale, Robert Plant..EVERYBODY...he was a hero at that time...a pioneer...

Alessandro Del Vecchio
Vocal coach and recording artist for Ian Paice, Glenn Hughes, Jeff Scott Soto, Carmine Appice, Andre Matos, Bob Harris, Steve Walsh and many others...ehm..too many;-)

I saw Lou Graham right after he had brain surgery. You could tell he was out of shape and energetically struggling. The first song was a little rough but after that he came alive. Simply amazing! People don't give him the credit he deserves. I think that Foreigner was as good as Journey in the 80's!

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

Although I have tremendous respect for the great singers of any genre, my favorite singers generally all come from a blues based background. That's the style that came most naturally for me.

I'm also a huge fan of the R&B masters like Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson,etc..

1. Steve Marriott (Humble Pie)
2. Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company)
3. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
4. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
5. Greg Allman
6. Delbert McClinton
7. Frankie Miller
8. Jimmie Barnes (Cold Chisel)
9. Robert Plant
10. Steve Perry (Great technician!)

Some of the vocalist i like are not very great technically. There are many I respect technically that I don't like, Then there are those I think are great technically and like artistically as well. example Steven Tyler I don't think he's technically that proficient (comparatively to the singers I've heard in my life)after watching many live and unedited footage clips, But the man is an incredible performer, Icon and has a great Rock voice. great feel, texture and attitude. The same in regards to Madonna, she knows how to sell it! Having it and knowing how to hit them in the head heart with it, are two different things. Remember the pet rock and the cabbage patch doll? some are great technically and fail to connect. others have that connecting factor and do very well regardless of vocal ability. Theres also the trend factor. I often wonder if some one like Stevie Nicks were starting today as an unknown performer ,would she get signed? Micheal Jackson? and many other huge name acts. This is a very trendy and transcient business. Classical(opera) always reserves it's space. I find blues, country and gospel do the same. the off shoots of these come and go and are stylized and restylized continuosly. The other stuff is a matter of creating a wave or catching a wave.

Last edited by DyausMaximusPrime (2008-01-10 12:30:36)

OmniMediaMasters Mainsite Administration- http://www.MajesticPlanet.com  , Check out my new videos on my  MySpace: http://www.Myspace.com/KingofPanormos

well I don't care a fuck about technique...I want to FEEL and LIVE what the singer has in his soul while he's singing.
If he's technical or not...I simply don't care..music is something that not in perfection or bullshit..Music is soul first of all..I can listen to Bob Dylan, Steve Perry, David Coverdale and B.B. King in the same 15 minutes without taking care of the technique..that's my thought..ok...it's a matter of taste:-)
STEVE MARRIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Humble Pie...what a band!!!!
JIMMY BARNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cold Chisel, Jon Lord....god..have you ever listened to the song he did with Glenn Hughes?ahahah..Glenn told he was blown away in the studio by this australian guy...it's a pity Jimmy had a cancer, or something like that, and he has now lost something in his voice...fuck...

Alessandro Del Vecchio

I love to sing Rufus Wainwright (can you tell?)
Radiohead, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, NIN, Joanna Newsom,
Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Bright Eyes, Nirvana, Beck, The Beatles, Counting Crows, Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Meat Loaf, Brian Setzer, etc...

My favorite style to sing is Rufus. I'm not sure how to categorize his vocal style. Anyone know? I'm very bad a genres. I hope to adopt much of that style.

I'm interested in taking lessons. I don't know much about online lessons but I'd be interested in giving it a shot.
Can anyone recommend an online teacher that can help me?

I'd have to say that my top 10 are:

1.Sebastian Bach (from the skid row album)
2.Freddie Mercury
3.Steve Perry (although I'm very impressed by their new singer arnel pineda)
4.Pavarotti
5.James labrie
6.Jim gellete
7.steven tyler
8.Bono
9.Rick Emmet from Triumph
10.Bon scott

Just wondering.. why do none of the vocal instructors seem to like sebastian bach?

I wasn't aware that the other vocal instructors didn't like Sebastian Bach. Personally i like his studio sound and he wasn't bad on broadway in jekle and hyde. Not quite full enough for my taste in general and live the one time i saw him many years ago his registers splintered and he flipped into falsetto a lot. that said he ok in my book!

Last edited by Darrison N Bentheim-Murat (2008-05-07 17:52:43)

I love Bach, I think the new CD is cool too. Yeah he has changed some over the years but he's still doing his thing;) Rain right, I teach online, as well as Robert, Dena, and I believe Jeannie does too;)

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com