Topic: SHARING VLT SETTINGS

First, I agree with former posts about s real need for a detailed step by step tutorial / manual for those of us without audio engineering backgrounds.
In the meantime, why can't we establish a data base with experienced users sharing their pre-sets with the rest of the VLT community. I agree with many posters that I am not looking to sound like a robot or Kanye....I would like all the help I can get in creating great sounding vocals and harmonies.
For example, there could be a setting called "Eagles" or "Simon and Garfunkel" or "Country Harmonies" etc.........followed by a step by step instruction of how to set the unit to achieve that result. And maybe a section on tips .....like "Best Settings for Female Vocalists" or "Best Settings for Baritone Voices" ets.....(Perhaps there is already a site dedicated to this?)

Re: SHARING VLT SETTINGS

Sounds like a great idea

Only 58 views.......with only one reply......I can only guess there are not many of us Voice Live Touch owners out there. I hope sooner or later to connect with other users and share presets........there are MANY guitar effects units that share data bases........(not to mention the dozens of pre-tweaked EQ settings for ALL the popular guitar's and microphones the Bose engineers created for their L1 Model II Personal Amplification System for example).... We should be able to do this easily. I hope someone who has a complete understanding of this powerful live effects unit will step forward and help the rest of us........(How about "Voice Live Touch for Dummies?" LOL!) The download manual leaves a LOT to be desired. Maybe a series of DVD's??? ......either from TC Helicon, or an expert user.....(So far, trial by error has been time consuming and frustrating).......I can't be the only one who feels this way..... I'll keep checking this thread.......hopefully, someone will come to the rescue!

Hi N8,

We've been talking internally about getting a repository of user made presets, with a way for users to share, rate and comment on submissions. It would be an awesome way for the community to help each other!

If there's a willing community member out there that wants to set up a website etc. with that functionality, we'd definitely try to get the word out.

We'll be working on something as we move forward, but it's always a balance of how to allocate the resources we have. The hamsters can only run on so many wheels at one time. tongue

Cheers,
Craig

Sounds like an excellent idea to me. The more tutorials available for this device, the better!

I haven't got the time to build a website like this. However, I could help out by hosting the presets etc. on my Rapidshare account. I can set them up as direct-download links so nobody needs to go through the usual "advert downloading" found with most file hosting sites. If people want to upload the tutorials as PDFs (or similar) for download and printing, I can host those too.

Just to reiterate, I'd only be hosting the files for download; not the entire website, but it should help alleviate bandwidth costs.

I have emailed Craig saying that I might be prepared to set this up and host it. However, we need more ideas as to what information could be exchanged before I can define the database and how we might exchange data.

there's already a website with this scope.

the problem is that a lot of users like to take.. ando few.. shares their owns...

Another problem is that many users made presets shared, not mantain the promises (not in that site.. in general..)

To work a similar project need the feedback from every user to the presets downloaded and shared.

Here.. the link to that forum

http://voiceliveusers.com/forum.html

Please share your presets.. to make it work better.

Hi Folks,

The idea would be that users would export presets, or groups of presets, via VoiceSupport and then upload them to the site, where they could be categorized and made available for other users.

I'm thinking some sort of drop down menu for Genre or Style would work for categorization during the upload process.

Then, other users could download, import and try out the presets for themselves.

Further, we'd love to see a rating system to allow the top rated presets and their creators to float to the top of the listings. That way, we can look at providing prizes or other incentives to the people who contribute stuff that the community at large is taking advantage of.

Also, when we make presets, we're limited by copyright etc. in the naming convention. When a user makes a preset that emulates a specific song/band they can name it directly and make it really fun for other users to try out the new Katy Perry sound or Foo Fighters sound.

Thanks so much for the interest guys!

Tony, if there's anything I didn't answer here that you'd like in a private reply, just let me know. From a tech standpoint, I don't think there's any specific database style or software that we're looking for. It would be completely up to the creator of the site.

Cheers,
Craig

yeah Craig.. this is the solution all the VL2 and VLT users wait for long time...

Hoping will be available soon...

This is GREAT NEWS ! I'm glad that there is interest here to help our VLT brethren!

Aside from presets, a detailed "How to" section could be included as well......which might be a compilation of sticky posts coupled with step by step tutorials (maybe with video included!) on how to use every function simply with this processor. Tutorials on editing on the fly....live......as well as more detailed tutorials on looping. There are a ton of possibilities here that would make this powerful processor ten time more useful to the majority of owners. We're "all ears!!"

I agree with many things said here...;-) I'm new to the game, it's my second day with the VLT and one thing that's immediately bothering is 'the manual' which I find terribly inadequate - except 'looping' that is.
For a unit in this price category there's no excuse for that.  Besides some nice ones there's a myriad of utterly silly presets, well whatever, but as has been said nowhere are presets explained. Like what are the settings and what's the difference. That would be the job of the manufacturer.

I'm technically quite sophisticated and not easily puzzled but hell I am with VLT. I bought the unit at a guitar center (Hollywood) and nobody there would have any clou as how this thing works! It was set-up somewhere in a corner leading a sad unappreciated life. I do think that TC-Helicon should invest a bit more into their manual as well as  maybe learn a thing or two from Apple regarding user interface ;-)

Probably everybody using VLT will start with 'favorite 1' correct? Why is there this awful phasing/flanging sound in the background that only goes away when one turns ymod off? Still can't figure that out. The person who's doing the presets (sales management intern?) should at least have the specifics of the presets supplied somewhere....website, manual....?

Besides all that, there's interesting things in the VLT but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it.

N8 wrote:

First, I agree with former posts about s real need for a detailed step by step tutorial / manual for those of us without audio engineering backgrounds.
In the meantime, why can't we establish a data base with experienced users sharing their pre-sets with the rest of the VLT community. I agree with many posters that I am not looking to sound like a robot or Kanye....I would like all the help I can get in creating great sounding vocals and harmonies.
For example, there could be a setting called "Eagles" or "Simon and Garfunkel" or "Country Harmonies" etc.........followed by a step by step instruction of how to set the unit to achieve that result. And maybe a section on tips .....like "Best Settings for Female Vocalists" or "Best Settings for Baritone Voices" ets.....(Perhaps there is already a site dedicated to this?)

GREAT POST AGREE 1000%

Anyword on this user setting database. I got at least one I could contribute to.

I haven't had response back since we first chatted about a user creating a DB to run it, but internally I'm making it my pet project. It will be a while for there to be an "official" system though, since I want it to be awesome and not just a half baked solution.

-Craig

Hi Craig,

What is required to make this happen? I have a team of web developers here in Bulgaria (it's related to my day job) and probably we can help. The idea is awesome!

Hi Anomandrus,

The real requirement, from my limited web design knowledge, is going to be the hosting and I/O requirements. There would need to be a database of the presets, somehow flagged with basic attributes like which device they work on. Going further, it would be great to have a sorting system for users to be able to quickly find presets that have specific effects or are part of a musical style.

Other than that, it could be anonymous, with only the ability to upload/download presets, without comments etc. so there's no moderation required. Or, it could be set up with user accounts, comments, ratings, etc. but that would require ongoing moderation from someone in the community.

The solution that TCH is working on changes form pretty often as we figure out exactly how we want to move forward, so there's ample room for an independent place for sharing to happen. I think if it remains separated from TCH on an official level, it gives the community the most freedom to run it however they want to.

Cheers,
Craig

Instead of waiting for this to happen ^^^^ which looks like it never will, as forum members lets post our settings for VLT harmonies, if you have a harmony setting CSN,Eagles,Alice in Chains ect....  any group please post the settings here
and then we can share them amongst all of us who own this unit, because frankly the only default harmony setting i found of any use was the Pink Floyd another brick in the wall setting, Please share your thoughts on this thanks alot 

John

I'd love to check out some other user's patches.
I actually use the brick in the wall patch also.
I haven't even come close to going through all the presets yet, but mostly have been using the same 2-3 ones.

If you had read over...
you could have found this link

where you can find a place to post share and exchange presets....

There's nothing there for VLT- can VL2 presets be loaded in the VLT?

sorry you've right
people have shared only VL2 presets.
It could be easy to re create for VLT editing manually them, and saving.

However after having looked for ready presets for months.. I've seen that's easier to create in few minutes... If you spend some time to know your gear it's a good investment.

I would also like to see a nice simple preset download section on Tc-Helicon Own SIte ie.

Click what device you have,
Click the Genre ie (Rock, Rock N Roll, Punk, etc)
Click the Singer/Group
CLick The Song

KISS Keep It Stupidly Simple

Last edited by shoxproductions (2011-12-27 06:05:18)

Editors for Touch 1, Touch 2 and Play GTX
VLT1: Edit ALL Presets, Librarian (10,000 capacity), Print, Import, Export, Studio Screen, LIVE Screen etc.
VLT2: FREE VoiceLive Touch 2 Basic Editor || FULL Version, Librarian Print, Import, Export, Studio Screen etc.
GTX  : FREE VoiceLive Play GTX Basic Editor.

the site I linked is similar (about the device) not about genre or style (but the presets shared are so few...)

The problem is that people want presets from other ones but didn't share owns one.
And however are users presets, I can share mine that I use for Pearl Jam's Alive... but it's my interpretation of sound, not a professional one that you can say.. "yes this is the right sound"
It's good for me... but everyone have to accept that this is the sharing politics.
I downloaded some cover presets... (I prefer don't say which ones..) that are only a kind of reverberation... that you can't consider.. a cover effect. But it's natural in this kind of things.
While on the other side, I had the chance to compare a preset realized for Ozzy's Mama or Planet Caravan, with the info coming from Ozzy's technicians about the way Ozzy realize is sound, a triple voice one panned on the left detuned+ and one panned on the right detuned- and it was the same way that preset was done.

So at the moment while TC-Helicon provide to do something similar directly accessible on Voice Support (they promised it some months ago), but possibily testing and certifying presets as good or not (or allowing a star evaluation system), we can share our presets here

allowing the community of share-presets people grow.

I've just updated the sharing presets area uploading a bunch of presets I realized.
http://voiceliveusers.com/VoiceLive-2-P … egory.html

Nice Web-site, but will these vl2 presets work with VLT?

VLT1: Edit ALL Presets, Librarian (10,000 capacity), Print, Import, Export, Studio Screen, LIVE Screen etc.
VLT2: FREE VoiceLive Touch 2 Basic Editor || FULL Version, Librarian Print, Import, Export, Studio Screen etc.

I think no they have to be edited with the same parameters inside VLT and then someone have to upload something for VLT

is there an program to read the parameters from the vl2, so that a similar setting can be applied to vlt?

no.. but that could be very useful... a converter between VL2 VLT & VLR that have the same modules and parameters...

i was after just a reader, as the vlr and vl2 has features that are not present on vlt, ie rhythmatic and steps, plus in depth parameter tweaks, but to be able to read what the presets are doing, would make it easier to try to duplicate effects with vlt and vlr etc.

Last edited by shoxproductions (2011-12-28 06:49:10)

someone had posted time ago a pdf sheet to write on parameters for settings.. that's useful too.