Topic: GINGER TEA

As a professional singer I understand that no matter how well I try to take care of my voice, there will come a time after performing night after night when it will begin to feel a bit hoarse, or in an extreme instance... sore. We are human after all...

My friend PAUL RODGERS ( FREE, BAD COMPANY, QUEEN) turned me on to one of his personal remedies....Ginger Tea.
I have tried many things over the years, but NOTHING opens my sinuses, and soothes my throat like this concoction!

Ginger tea has a spicy, invigorating taste. It's used as a home remedy for indigestion, nausea, and to ward off colds, flu, and sore throats.

Ginger tea is very easy to make. Here is a recipe for you to try.

½ Gallon Water

5x 2-inch pieces of fresh ginger root

optional: honey

Peel the ginger root and slice it into thin slices. Bring the water to a boil in a pot. Once it is boiling, add the ginger. Cover it and reduce to a simmer for 2 -3hours. Keep adding water as it evaporates. Strain the tea.

Note: Keep in mind that if you are making ginger tea as a home remedy during cold and flu season, sweeteners are not recommended.

It may take you awhile to get used to the strength. It is VERY spicy!

Also, if your voice is sore..get rest, and DRINK LOT'S OF WATER!

Re: GINGER TEA

Hi Shaun..I know about this as for the balsamic effect ginger has on the nasal cavity...I remember I tried something and I couldn't stop tears coming out of my eyes ehehehe...Not..it was not moving..it was terribly strong and spicy!!!!...I didn't know it could be done at home:-)
Thanks for the advice
Ale

Alessandro Del Vecchio
Vocal coach and recording artist for Ian Paice, Glenn Hughes, Jeff Scott Soto, Carmine Appice, Andre Matos, Bob Harris, Steve Walsh and many others...ehm..too many;-)
www.myspace.com/alessandrodelvecchio

Nice.. Time to go shopping

Theatre - JC in JCSS x2, Bands - DIRTYOTTO (Classic Rock,Classic Disco)
Mic - Nuemann KMS105bk, TC-Helicon VoiceLive..
Raise your voice baby!! Thanks Jaime and all you awesome instructors

I have always chewed on ginger root, that has always been my "secret" conditioner.

By the way Paul Rodgers is amazing! I saw him with Queen and I must say that short of having Freddie there, this was the most awesome experience I could have asked for...Hammer To Fall was amazing! This guy can sing better today then when he was young!

Rod

PAUL RODGERS IS GOD!
ehehe
I always loved his way of singing...his passion..and his bluesy taste...
In the new Moonstone project record we have recorded with Ian Paice a show with a tribute to bad company:-)
once it's out I will post it:-)

Alessandro Del Vecchio
Vocal coach and recording artist for Ian Paice, Glenn Hughes, Jeff Scott Soto, Carmine Appice, Andre Matos, Bob Harris, Steve Walsh and many others...ehm..too many;-)
www.myspace.com/alessandrodelvecchio

Surprisingly, ginger tea may be just what the doctor ordered, at least an Indian doctor.

There has been research that shows something like 90% of singers with acid reflux sing better after taking proton inhibitors.   (I recall this may be a UPenn research study).

As one gets older, the stomach valve stopping acid reflux weakens, so, acid will migrate more to the vocal tract.  The esophagus and basic saliva will neutralize this.  However, acidic gas in small amounts will continue to hit the vocal tract.  There is no study I'm aware of on the effects of acidic gas on the vocal tract.   There are studies that show acidic fluids will ruin your vocal tract.

But essentially, if you're getting older, and want a magic pill, comparable to steroids for athletes, try a proton inhibitor.

Ginger, also helps with reducing acid reflux; though, I don't recall exactly how.  I read this in a book on acid reflux, written by a MD of Indian descent, and it's well known in gastroenterology.   

So, in addition to whatever other benefits ginger may have, ginger tea might have the further advantage of reducing acid reflux in those of us who are older, and this reduction will help your voice.

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.  www.WebBIZcard.com is also in blog stage. Thanks

A word of caution regarding ginger (and licorice, too).

If you have issues with hypertension (High Blood Pressure), watch your intake of ginger. Prior to my surgeries, I was in a significant amount of pain, which escalated my BP. I thought the BP issue was resolved after the surgeries, However, I tried the ginger tea, and my BP went sky high. (It's too bad, as I liked it). If you have BP issues, or have had them in the past, I would suggest purchasing a BP monitor. Some of them are reasonably priced.
I also had the same problem with "Throat Coat Tea", made by Traditional Medicinals.

Another alternative is "Throat Comfort" Tea, Yogi Teas, (decaf), and not only does it help with a sore throat, it tastes great. You can also add some honey, but I like it as is. No BP problems, either.

Though I don't have problems with the following, you also have to be careful with ginger if you have issues with diabetes, heart disease, or liver disease. I would suggest consulting your doctor before using ginger, or some other herbal remedies. 

You can also find out about the precautions regarding herbals at http://www.I-herb.com
They also have excellent prices.

But again, your doctor or pharmacist is your best resource for advice.

Vocalist, Keyboardist, Composer

Sr. Director of Community Development and Operations
The Modern Vocalist
http://www.themodernvocalist.com

Hi Shaun

I drink it regularly too! If you need a quick way of doing it...just 2 - 5 thin slices in a cup of boiling water will do the trick too!
Ginger relaxes the throat muscles, is good for the blood circulation, anti-bacterial and excellent for digestion after too much food!

Keep on brewing & singing!
love Hilary

hey NP, i use throat coat too..:) --subtle licorace-y tasting, but it works....nice post on the BP/pre-existing issues concern!!

Ancora Imparo

And it has anti-histamine properties smile  I can't eat citrus so I love that ginger has a similar taste.  I put some in my smoothie yesterday and it was delicious!

Attention teachers!  Visit my new website: www.voiceyourselfintheclassroom.com

Excellent responses! Thanks everyone.

Peace,