Topic: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I hope you guys can help me...

It has been an uphill battle in smaller rehearsal spaces and clubs battling in my Band to be heard at times. The SM58 doesn't cut it, I know the SM58 beta is substantially better, but what are the best options?

My main concerns are clarity and low feedback.

The band is a melodic metal band, and No I don't scream, at times it's hard to get through the mix. I go from anywhere from Hard-Rock vocals (say Chris Cornell) to the Melodic wails, belt of (Howard Jones of Killswitch Engage)...at times I want to get very operatic, ah, it's such a battle. I go anywhere from baritone to tenor.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I know I will catch some flack from some people but I am an Shure SM-58 fan to the core. A lot of people are turning away from the 58...but those are people who haven't used them for 20 years;) That said, there are TONS of mics on the market now. Try renting some  ics from a local musci store to find one you like. For a little brighter sound, check out the Shure beta-58;)

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com
theultimatevocalworkout.com

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

You'll catch no flack here...I've been a 58 man for as long as I can remember..I'm also fond of the U87 for recording. I've also had the opportunity to record using the older 67's, and even an ancient 47 once..I'm a big fan of the "eat the mic" recording techniques. I love the aural sensation that you could "smell the singers breath" on recordings..like David Coverdale's recordings where you hear the inhalation.

However, I am going to take Robert's advice, and try some of the mics he includes in his gig bag wink This old dog can still learn new tricks wink

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Jaime, you are goin to catch some "flak"  8  ^  )   I use the SM58beta... and it wasnt 20 years ago...its in my aresenal... but its not the best hand held dynamic mic on the market.  In my opinion... the EV767a is the new Winchester for the rock and roll cowboy.  Shaun, get ya one so we can get some more qualified feedback on this...

Aaron... Go get yourself an EV767a... purchase from Ebay for about $90... its a killer mic.  Makes SM58 people look like little "girly-girls" that cry to mama.  "teehee"... ok, stand by for Jaime Rebuttel....

Check out our "gig bag" series of videos and information from this sit.  Go to "news & round tables" and click on gig bag.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
425.444.5053
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Robert Lunte wrote:

Jaime, you are goin to catch some "flak"  8  ^  )   I use the SM58beta... and it wasnt 20 years ago...its in my aresenal... but its not the best hand held dynamic mic on the market.  In my opinion... the EV767a is the new Winchester for the rock and roll cowboy.  Shaun, get ya one so we can get some more qualified feedback on this...

Aaron... Go get yourself an EV767a... purchase from Ebay for about $90... its a killer mic.  Makes SM58 people look like little "girly-girls" that cry to mama.  "teehee"... ok, stand by for Jaime Rebuttel....

Check out our "gig bag" series of videos and information from this sit.  Go to "news & round tables" and click on gig bag.

(I own an SM58 by the way, it's just not cutting it, and I've used the Beta, which is substantially better)...

Thus far, one of my band mates is  is pushing the nd967 over the EV767a, for me...Here's what he wrote
----------------
"the audix om7 and sennheiser e945 are both good vocal mics. they both get very good reviews BUT i dont think either of them is tailored for your voice/our applications. bith of these mics add "warmth" and "body" to the signal; think less highs more bass. your voice is already naturally warm and bassy which needs no emphasis, in fact quite the opposite, were looking for the most gain before feedback and "cut" thru the mix. so these two mics also seem poor choices.

the EV microphones are some of the best in the industry. every time ive seen one used it was because i was drawn to the stage to see what mic the vox were using. its that noticeable! the flat capsule mic is the one for our application. nd967 not the "a nd767".
the frequency response of the nd967 is perfectly tailored for what were doing/your voice."
---------------

This is so hard! I will be sure the check out those videos when I return home!

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I just got the 767 (on Lunte's advice) and I like it. I was using the beta58a before that, and the sm58 before that. 

I got the beta58a because the sm58 was too dull sounding in a loud rock band situation and did not cut through. The beta58a was louder and much better at cutting through but it was a bit shrill and crispy. The 767 sounds smoother and clearer and it cuts through nicely.

It's different though. Things I used to do with the beta58 I have to do differently with the 767. There's a smaller pickup pattern on the 767 so you can't get too far out. Getting too close to it (eating) breaks up the sound differently too. I just needed to get used to it but now I have tried going back to the beta58 and I can't do it. I like the 767 better.

The 967, from my understanding, has the best gain-before-feedback of the EV series so it can go louder. That might mean the the pickup pattern is smaller too so you'll have to get used to that. I like pulling back and moving in so a tighter pattern than the 767 would probably bug me.

This said, you should really try a few mics out at your nearest music store and see what's up. It's okay to have more than 1 mic too. I am thinking about getting an Audix OM5 someday.

One thing to consider is the 767 is feather light so you might trip on the difference between it and your 58. Don't let that fool you though.

By the way, I still like the 58 and beta58a and will continue to use them when called for, but the 767 cuts and sounds better in my current situation.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I helped you somehow.

Last edited by Zeta (2008-04-20 19:53:39)

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Zeta wrote:

I just got the 767 (on Lunte's advice) and I like it. I was using the beta58a before that, and the sm58 before that. 

I got the beta58a because the sm58 was too dull sounding in a loud rock band situation and did not cut through. The beta58a was louder and much better at cutting through but it was a bit shrill and crispy. The 767 sounds smoother and clearer and it cuts through nicely.

It's different though. Things I used to do with the beta58 I have to do differently with the 767. There's a smaller pickup pattern on the 767 so you can't get too far out. Getting too close to it (eating) breaks up the sound differently too. I just needed to get used to it but now I have tried going back to the beta58 and I can't do it. I like the 767 better.

The 967, from my understanding, has the best gain-before-feedback of the EV series so it can go louder. That might mean the the pickup pattern is smaller too so you'll have to get used to that. I like pulling back and moving in so a tighter pattern than the 767 would probably bug me.

This said, you should really try a few mics out at your nearest music store and see what's up. It's okay to have more than 1 mic too. I am thinking about getting an Audix OM5 someday.

One thing to consider is the 767 is feather light so you might trip on the difference between it and your 58. Don't let that fool you though.

By the way, I still like the 58 and beta58a and will continue to use them when called for, but the 767 cuts and sounds better in my current situation.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I helped you somehow.

Thanks for your time! and yes it helped...

Right now I'm down to the 767 and 967, and it's not an easy decision, I will try my best to see where i can try them out first before purchasing.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Arron Carlton wrote:
Robert Lunte wrote:

Jaime, you are goin to catch some "flak"  8  ^  )   I use the SM58beta... and it wasnt 20 years ago...its in my aresenal... but its not the best hand held dynamic mic on the market.  In my opinion... the EV767a is the new Winchester for the rock and roll cowboy.  Shaun, get ya one so we can get some more qualified feedback on this...

Aaron... Go get yourself an EV767a... purchase from Ebay for about $90... its a killer mic.  Makes SM58 people look like little "girly-girls" that cry to mama.  "teehee"... ok, stand by for Jaime Rebuttel....

Check out our "gig bag" series of videos and information from this sit.  Go to "news & round tables" and click on gig bag.

(I own an SM58 by the way, it's just not cutting it, and I've used the Beta, which is substantially better)...

Thus far, one of my band mates is  is pushing the nd967 over the EV767a, for me...Here's what he wrote
----------------
"the audix om7 and sennheiser e945 are both good vocal mics. they both get very good reviews BUT i dont think either of them is tailored for your voice/our applications. bith of these mics add "warmth" and "body" to the signal; think less highs more bass. your voice is already naturally warm and bassy which needs no emphasis, in fact quite the opposite, were looking for the most gain before feedback and "cut" thru the mix. so these two mics also seem poor choices.

the EV microphones are some of the best in the industry. every time ive seen one used it was because i was drawn to the stage to see what mic the vox were using. its that noticeable! the flat capsule mic is the one for our application. nd967 not the "a nd767".
the frequency response of the nd967 is perfectly tailored for what were doing/your voice."
---------------

This is so hard! I will be sure the check out those videos when I return home!

I disagree... I think you'll be frustrated with the 967 and guaranteed satisfied with the 767.  Your the vocalist,  you make the final call... does your band mate actually know why the 967 is different... I mean, is he aware that the 967 & the om7 are "high gain to feedback mics"... ?  this means all the gain is completely stripped out... its an idea used to reduce feedback by some manufacturers... but the problem is... what good is it, if the singer runs back to the PA and cranks the gain back up on the board because he cant hear himself?  Its kinda silly... turn the gain back on the mic... so that when the singer is using it... he doesnt have enough gain?  So then he turns up the gain on the PA system to compesate for the loss... and have we achieved anything?   

Better to just ask your band and sound guys to get control over thier levels, "turn down"...   get the 767... dont waste your time and money on these "high gain to feedback" mics... thats my opionion...

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
425.444.5053
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Every video here, we have used the EV 767 if you want to hear different singers...   www.youtube.com/roblunte

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
425.444.5053
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I just switched to Beta 58A and I love it
It's very clear and relatively low feedback (compared to let's say, 55SHII, which is just for looks anyways lol) but it's better than a SM58 I think.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

If you go to Guitar Center then you can try the display mics out in the store. Not sure why someone would recommend an Audix OM7 (if anything comprable to the mics you are talking about then I think it would be OM8). For the money the EV ND767a is hard to beat, especially for the stage you described. Sennheiser makes great mics and a 945 is a great mic. It is a warmer and a bit muted mic, but has a truer reproduction of my voice. I think it is hard to beat German engineering and always recommend Beyerdynamic Opus 69. The problem is you don't see many Beyerdynamic mics around music stores in the US (at least I haven't around the Midwest). You can buy Beyerdynamic mics from BH (just google BH) and from Sweetwater for discounted prices. That said, I am pretty sure you will like the ND767a. BTW there is a thread on this forum where someone (I think it was Robert) posted some information on the 967 from an EV tech. Based on that information, the 967 is not the way to go. Check out a metal band called Secret and Whisper on myspace. Charles sings through aSennheiser 835 (or 845). In short, my opinion, if you are going to spend less than $150 buy the ND767a, if you can spend more buy the Beyerdynamic Opus 69. The sound tech for Sanctus Real suggested the Opus 69 to me when I talked to him about Matt's KSM9. The Opus 81 capsule is pretty equivalent to the capsule in the KSM9, but they went with the Sure mic because they were not confident in the wireless part of the rig from Beyerdynamic. The story of Beyerdynamic is an interesting one and again, German engineering. More people need to hear and try the Opus 69. I think it would change a lot of opinions.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Good evening, Gentlemen!!

Lots of great info in here based on real experiences . . . I appreciate it!

I'm a Shure man myself and have recently switched over to the Beta series.

After having a couple of EVs in the late 90's (365s I think!!) I switched back to Shure.  I loved the EVs tone, but my problem was that while they would start out good, they didn't seem to last long. (They would start distorting under "belting" SPLs, etc.)  And LORD knows I took care of those puppies!!  Switching back to the Shure, to me, did sound different, but still sounded good and gave me much more usage f/my money.

Now . . . My real question is, with all these suggestions flying around, I haven't heard anyone mention the Beta87A.  Am I crazy for liking this mic?!?!?  Should I go back to the drawing board??  Am I missing out by not giving the EVs another go?? 

I know what's been working f/me gig-in, gig-out but at the same time I don't want be to closed-minded on such an important tool of our trade.

Thoughts ya'all . . .

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

its a hard one because you have to find the mic that matches/works well with your particular vocal tone. however working with rock or metal bands generally means your singing in a loud environment so a mic that has good gain before feedback and rejection of unwanted noise is of importance. also a mic that is on the brighter side of the tonal scale (this usually means quite a boost in the mid frequencies)should also help with clarity and cutting your vocal through the mix of the band. however there are some mics that actually seem to combine a nice smooth big bass response with cutting mids aswell. plus you will find there are mics that have so much mid frequency boost that they sound too bright which makes them sound harsh, brittle and very nasal sounding.

for instances where the environment/band volume is moderate to loud i would recommend:

Sennheiser e935

Sennheiser e945

Audio-technica AE6100

Audix OM5

Audix OM6

EV N/D767a


for instances where the environment/band is just ridiculously loud :

Audix OM7

EV N/D967

Crown  CM-10a

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

out of the mics listed by robertMetal's post I have tried and

Like: Sennheiser e935 (warm bottom, nice weight, well made, clear but a little muted), EV N/D767a (picks up voice well, very open sounding, this mic is like an active pickup on a guitar - its hot)

Dislike: Audio-technica AE6100 (well made, comfortable, no handling noise, sounds like a tin can) (edit - thats exactly it, it has less weight, it sounded like it captured a frequency block of my voice and cut the rest out. This mic may sound incredible on other voices or with a nicer board, but compared to my Beyerdynamic Opus 69, both using a Monster XLR to TRS then into a Tascam digital vocal trainer with Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones for monitoring, the AE6100 was disappointing. I haven't auditioned an Audix mics, but I am not a fan of any Shure 58 beta or not.)

The rest I haven't auditioned.

Last edited by Mark (2008-07-30 18:38:42)

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

i can see how the AE6100 may sound less weighty than some mics on some PAs, voices but i wouldnt say tinny.. especially when compared to an Audix OM5 or a shure beta58a.


but again its all down to opinions/tastes. i guess if something works for someone or they prefer A over B then use it!


all the best,

robert

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Does e935 (cardioid) and e945 (supercardioid) sound the same with the only difference being the pickup pattern? I have tried and like very much the e935, but I am thinking of buying a e945.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

yes the e935 and e945 have a very similar sound. i would say that at close inspection the e945 is slightly smoother and more natural sounding. the e935 has a tiny bit more mid frequency response which can make it sound a little bit more aggressive (which is great for rock/metal). if you liked the e935 you would also like the e945 definitely.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Shure Fan Here,,........some of my singer friends use EV mics,I almost bought one when I was looking to go chordless,when the faze hit,But EV performer mic bit it and they pulled it,because of tech.issues.I have a Beta87 chord mic,Beta87 SLX wireless,and a Beta58 SLX wireless,...The 87a blows every mic away that I have ever used.If your into raw,studio quality in a live mic,this is it,....I love condesor mics,because you don't have to work as hard with it.That helps if your doing 40 to 45 songs the whole night,and a lot of AC/DC,...Most people are on the senheiser kik these days,...I have never tried one,would like to just to compare it to the beta87,...but I'm shure I would be back to the Shure,...

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I didn't like the sound of my voice through an SM58.  (maybe it's the voice? ;-))  I am currently using a Sennheiser e845 and I like it much better.  I haven't had the chance to try any other mics so maybe there's something that would sound even better.

It depends on your voice to a degree.

Steve

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

The Senn E965 would be best but if you can find the original old Beta 58 with a humbucking coil (not the common Beta 58A) It will blow away the standard 58A which by Shure's own admission are cheap copies of the original Beta 58.
Gary More used a humbucking coil Beta 58 as studio mic in the control room for the final cuts of his Still got the Blues album!

Last edited by Sting (2010-01-25 21:38:21)

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

some of the people on here have no idea what theyre talking about,
i use the Audix OM7(lol read the OM8 on here somewhere and it made me laugh, NO SUCH THING AS THE Audix OM8 btw)
and the Blue Encore200,

The Audix mic is made for any type of vocal application,
it has a small mass diaphragm which allows it to get more "gain before feedback"
whilst also dropping the signal on average about 6-8db,
this is good for getting more of a signal going through the PA,
and allowing for even higher levels of the mic volume in the output mix
by being able to turn up the gain higher,
and the mix higher, which means you not only get a better signal,
but also are capable of getting a louder stage volume before you get feedback loops,
(some people seem to think that this high gain before feedback only pertains to gain, ha!)

plus, its is also an extreme hypercardioid mic,
1-from its polar pattern,
2-from its small mass diaphragm

its an exceptional mic for live use,

the blue is a very good sounding ACTIVE dynamic mic,
yes ACTIVE(requires phantom power) DYNAMIC(not condensor)

it has a very warm, extremely consistent sound to it,
as well as being another great mic for any occasion(SPL up to 147db!!!!)
it is a cardioid polar pattern, but has blue's incredible unique off axis rejection(kinda neat)

so, my live mic situation depends on the stage,
i use the Audix for practice and live bigger venues,
and the blue for smaller venues, some practices, and recording guitar,

-Eddie

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

I would agree I have the shure beta 87c and the quality of sound is exceptional its phantom powered but I can scream into it - ala ac/dc audioslave esque and it picks up mutiple nuances in my voice.

At the moment I now have an SLX system receiver SLX4 and am personally stuck with the dilema of repairing my beta 58a or biting the bullet and upgrading to the 87a wireless what are your thoughts guys ?

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Hey, I'm new to the forum and it seemed like this thread might be able to help me a bit... Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but I'm new smile

Okay, so I'm 15 this month, and I wanted to get a microphone and equipment for singing... But, I know like nothing about what to buy and stuff!

For my style I'd like a microphone which would be compatible with dealing with me singing stuff by Axl Rose (Guns N Roses lead singer), could anyone here recommend a microphone for that stuff? About £150 is my budget smile

Also, as I know so little about this equipment, do you need an amp for using these microphones? Or do they have a speaker at the bottom...? Please excuse my lack of inexperience! If an amp is required of usage, would it work through a guitar amp? Or I would I need to buy a special microphone amp...?


Once again, I'd like to apologise if I'm posting in the wrong area... Please forgive me smile
If any of you could offer me any assistance, I would really appreciate it!


Thanks!

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

For a starting young singer like yourself I would re recommend the Shure SM58, Shure Beta 58 or the Sennheiser 945. You can see these mics everywhere around the world from small bar gigs to stadium concerts.

With one of these mics in your hands you'll have a microphone that's gonna last you a long time. No need to upgrade for...ehm...maybe no need to upgrade ever wink

Before you buy a microphone I strongly suggest you try a couple of different types out. See what you like best.

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Thanks for the speedy reply! hahaha! Do I need an amp for it? Either guitar amp or microphone amp? or is there like a little speaker at the bottom? I had thought about getting a Shure SM58 cos I heard Axl Rose used one ;p (Die hard fan or what!)

Thanks again!

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Microphones with a speaker in the bottom can be found at Toys-r-Us tongue

A microphone does nothing else than turning vibrating air (sound) into an electric signal.

At minimum you'll need a microphone pre-amp, power amp and speakers to hear your voice. Often a mixing desk is used, where microphone pre-amps are embedded. No need to make things complicated: For your first gigs it is easier and better to rent a PA with personnel. This way you won't have to invest multi K $ for a complete set an you don't have to worry 'bout all the engineering stuff: just rock the crowds!

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Hahaha thanks, but i was just kinda hoping for something I could use to practise at home for the meantime...! Could you recommend an amp with perhaps an mp3 line? So I can stick my laptop into for backing tracks n stuff?


thank you so much smile

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

For rehearsals without a live band you don't need a microphone at all!
Just play your backingtracks and sing.
You could connect powered (pc) speakers to your laptop to get a better sound for your backingtracks. But no way you're going to have the need for a microphone.

(good news: saves you a lot of money!)

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

Yeah but if I wanted to like in the future what would u recommend?

;p


thanks!

Re: What's the Best Microphone for (Melodic/Clean) Hard-Rock/Metal Vocals!

You'll have to wait and see what happens in the future. There are all kinds of things you need to take in consideration: What is the line-up of the band, how many in- and outputs will you need, what venues are you going to play.....