Re: Top 5 Vocalists in Rock Music

Glenn Hughes - Incredible range, tonality, soul, can change the texture of his voice with ease, just an all around incredible singer. Theres no one who can touch him in my opinion in the world of rock.

Geoff Tate - An innovator when it comes to the power metal sound. Sure, there were people who did it before, but no one did it better than he did. The early stuff like The Warning and Rage For Order are incredible. His voice has changed drastically since, but he still can pull off any song from his past, just not with the same easy tonality.

Steven Tyler - Brought soul and blues to rock. Has been able to maintain his voice and improve throughout his career, with only a few setbacks here and there regarding vocal issues. He's got one of the coolest tonalities in the business, and probably the most distinctive.

Rob Halford - Huge range, incredible control of his tone as well. He can go from screaming something like Painkiller, to something with perfect vibrato such as Angel. The new Nostradamus CD displays just how varied his vocals can be.

Paul Stanley - Incredible singer, incredible sound.

As far as non rock singers, NO ONE can touch these two:
Stevie Wonder and Patti LaBelle.
For those of you who aren't as familiar with Patti LaBelle other than the hooker song big_smile, check out these 2 videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ4L72gnCRo

and here she is with Joe Cocker (who I think is one of the most soulful singers of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsdkGHX9Vqo

Most of you are surely familiar enough with Stevie Wonder that theres no need for video links

I actually co- produced a shows that Patti Labelle was in, in 1993 Great Lady, very humble hugs the hell out of ya! her son Jason was also a great kid. BTW she used to drink white wine and eat salmon (locks) before every show lol don't know if she still does with her diabetes. She was always dead on live, both at sound check and the night of the event.

OmniMediaMasters Mainsite Administration- http://www.MajesticPlanet.com  , Check out my new videos on my  MySpace: http://www.Myspace.com/KingofPanormos

Aus wrote:

Glenn Hughes - Incredible range, tonality, soul, can change the texture of his voice with ease, just an all around incredible singer. Theres no one who can touch him in my opinion in the world of rock.

Geoff Tate - An innovator when it comes to the power metal sound. Sure, there were people who did it before, but no one did it better than he did. The early stuff like The Warning and Rage For Order are incredible. His voice has changed drastically since, but he still can pull off any song from his past, just not with the same easy tonality.

Steven Tyler - Brought soul and blues to rock. Has been able to maintain his voice and improve throughout his career, with only a few setbacks here and there regarding vocal issues. He's got one of the coolest tonalities in the business, and probably the most distinctive.

Rob Halford - Huge range, incredible control of his tone as well. He can go from screaming something like Painkiller, to something with perfect vibrato such as Angel. The new Nostradamus CD displays just how varied his vocals can be.

Paul Stanley - Incredible singer, incredible sound.

As far as non rock singers, NO ONE can touch these two:
Stevie Wonder and Patti LaBelle.
For those of you who aren't as familiar with Patti LaBelle other than the hooker song big_smile, check out these 2 videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ4L72gnCRo

and here she is with Joe Cocker (who I think is one of the most soulful singers of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsdkGHX9Vqo

Most of you are surely familiar enough with Stevie Wonder that theres no need for video links

Queensryche's "The Warning" is one of the top 5 rock vocal performances of all time in my opinion... if you have not heard it, get it... its inhuman, Tate's vocals are so great on this album... changed my life.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

Jaime Vendera wrote:

Non metal
Robert Plant
Steven Tyler
Steve Perry
Sting
Joe Cocker-now there is a non trained singer with poor techniqu that is still amazing. It;s the emotion

Thats a joke, right?  Okay, I'm with you on Sting and Joe Cocker, and I suppose you're right that Plant, Tyler, and Perry aren't metal in the contemporary sense--but that high-pitched hard-rocking style is not all that different from old-school metal like Judas Priest. Still, point taken.

Nonetheless (and here we may get into a brawl), I'd trade a boatload of Journey, Aerosmith, even Led Zep for a few tracks of Dylan, Gram Parsons, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, Springsteen, Young, Petty, Knopfler, etc.  And not one of them has the technique of the singers you list above.

The point?  Performance and style (aka, mojo) beats technique every time.  That's no reason not to develop technique, of course, but I do believe that all of the singers listed above spent a great deal of time and effort getting their vocals just right.

I do think that certain types of music are ideal for displaying vocal technique--here the hard rock/metal crowd has pride of place.  Similarly, really good instrumentalists tend to like jazz because it allows them to display their chops.

A great artist will shine through in any musical style!

Jersey Jack
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey

raythetse wrote:

This forum needs to become very aware of Russel Allen.

Russell Allen is incredible...what a great singer! I love Jorn Lande's vocals too and if you guys like them both, you might want to check out The Revenge, an album that the two of them did together (they did another one before that called The Battle).

Ray, you must check out Daniel Gildenlow...people, please check out Daniel. He's not related to me, lol...but he's a great, great singer...my #1 favourite of all time.

Darrison N Bentheim-Murat wrote:

I'm giving a list based on non technical just some of my likes if we are talking technique i would need to hear live undubbed,undoctored recordings and to be just some of the artist out there i have only heard in studio recording and at the actual live event usually to loud and moving to fast to judge technique also don't know what effects etc they have added.

1. The vocalist from the Band Boston and for some strange reason i can't remember his name lol
2. Annie Lennox - excellent
3. Ann Wilson- yes she not in her heyday, but i think she was highly underrated and under accredited in her earlier years - strangley she's getting more attention since american idol- pretty sad ,but Alone is one of the most used songs in contest.
4. I'm with Jaime on the Joe Cocker anyone that can screw it up with such consistance and make it work so well tied with Janis Joplin.
5. This is really damn hard cause i like so many and if we are going technique i want to hear their simple scale lol

Darrison, Brad Delp... good call, I forgot about him.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Ok, here is my "non-techie" group:

Morrisey - Love that "The Smiths" sound and his solo stuff is great.
Peter Murphy - Get the album "Deep"... it was also a big life influencer on me.  Taught me to appreciate singing low sometimes.
Seal
John Denver

Here are some other metal guys that deserve an honorable mention:

Ray Alder - Fates Warning
Meatloaf
Michael Sweet - Stryper
Brad Delp - Boston
Lou Graham - Foriegner
Ronnie James Dio
Joe Lynn Turner
Jeff Scott Soto
Tony Harnell
ok, Russell Alan
The guy from Mars Volta (who is he?)
The guy from Helloween (first singer)

Ok, this is kinda juvenille... but still fun... hope that gives you something to talk about.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Check out my interviews with Jeff Scott Soto, Michael Kiske (first singer of Helloween), and Joe Lynn Turner (may not be up yet though) on Jaime's Voice Connection site then Rob.

Seal is another one of my favorites; his stuff is always a lot harder to nail than you would think too.

I must admit though, some of the singers on my list, and maybe even all of them don't seem as good live as on record, but I'm not sure if I would take Robert Plant off the top of my list. I did put Rob Halford on my list because I have seen him rated highly and heard a few clips of him, but I never really got into J.P. Maybe its the name?

Where words are silent, music speaks.

I should have put Tyler in also, but I've never been more than a casual fan of Aerosmith.

Where words are silent, music speaks.

Note on Queensryche, I do agree with Robert if you haven't heard The Warning it a must do album. I would venture to say Queensryche during the Queensryche -Iron Maiden tour (either 84-85) was Incredible Great album to check out, honestly however I was backstage at the original mindcrime tour for some date and although the bands popularity has grown and it's still a great show- somehow the real essence that made Queensryche Speacial seems to have been concentrated in the E.P. and the warning after that it began it's submission into industry hell that is to say the first two records just seemed to come from nowhere and flow with ease and magic. The others have some great material and performances, but seem at moment contrived and labored as if they started looking for a formula. I find it strange that empire sold more then warning. Also note Rage for order was a fantastic record- great vocal and as far as i'm concerned ground breaking in a huge mix kind of way. I understand they have 2 -48 track recorders going for that and with a pair of head phones you can hear a million things that have been mixed in. BTW the strange uprising sound in Warning, eddie told me that was created with a blow torch on a cymbal. cool stuff

P.S Another record came to mind that i need to recommend that is Buckingham Nicks, which is the one album Stevie nicks and Lindsey buckingham did prior to joining fleetwood mac. It has not been in print or re-issued since it's original release and is difficult to find, but you can find sites where you can down load copy or listen. Stevie Nicks actually had clear and strong chops prior to all the coke abuse. Listen to her vocals on this record it was really cool. Her being almost naked on the cover in her early 20's didn't hurt the eyes either lol

Last edited by Darrison N Bentheim-Murat (2008-07-16 05:55:58)

OmniMediaMasters Mainsite Administration- http://www.MajesticPlanet.com  , Check out my new videos on my  MySpace: http://www.Myspace.com/KingofPanormos

No joke Jersey Jack, looks like this is a personal opinion list because the singers I mentioned weren't truly technical singers at all. Dunno where you get that. If you want a great performer that I would rather see than my list and yours put together, check out Prince. Laugh all you want, but I have seen this guy perform and his is simpy amazing vocalwise, performancewise, showmanwise...

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com
theultimatevocalworkout.com

Vats wrote:
raythetse wrote:

This forum needs to become very aware of Russel Allen.

Russell Allen is incredible...what a great singer! I love Jorn Lande's vocals too and if you guys like them both, you might want to check out The Revenge, an album that the two of them did together (they did another one before that called The Battle).

Ray, you must check out Daniel Gildenlow...people, please check out Daniel. He's not related to me, lol...but he's a great, great singer...my #1 favourite of all time.

Actually I have The Battle and the Revenge.  I play the Revenge at least once a week it seems.  And yeah Jorn is pretty cool, though not as technically sound and not as spot on live as Russ, he' just got a cool voice and style.  Master of Sorrow is one of the most kick ass songs ever.  And I do have several Pain of Salvation albums, but I don't listen to em that much.  Never did stick on me.

Oh and for those of you who don't know, Russell Allen also has a solo album called Atomic Soul which is pretty killer as well.  Bluesy rock stuff, only one song sounds anything like Symphony X (Gaia) and IMO it the worst track on the album... figure that one out!

Last edited by raythetse (2008-07-16 07:47:59)

Can you guys believe, we forgot to mention Jeff Buckley?  Also... someone gave a shout out for Russell Allen ... thats cool... but one of my biggest influences and inspirations was Ray Alder from Fates Warning...

Are you guys familiar with Ray Alder?  Am I the only person that is recognizing Ray Alder as worthy of the vc forum list of super heros?

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Never a big Alder fan. Dunno why. Ah Jeff Buckley, what in the world was I thinking not mentioning him. Got all his released stuff. What an amazing voice!

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

I'll agree Jagger isn't the best technically or even musically; but he is perhaps the best shouter (among top stars).  Can't think of anyone else who can shout as much as him.  Try Jagger's shouting--it takes a tremendous amount of strength, and he can do it for a long period of time.  Amazing for someone his age.   Additionally, I can't think of other shouters, except maybe James Brown, who has been able to shout for so long.

Yes, I knew Judas Priest, but didn't know who know Halford's name.  If posters will write down the names of the group, I wouldn't have to spend so much time researching for group names.  I just heard 5 of his songs--good singer, but the band is the superior componet of Judas Priest, and the music and image creation are what makes hiim popular.  But then, I hadn't heard the other songs you mentioned.

Last edited by WebAndNet (2008-07-16 11:30:27)

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.  www.WebBIZcard.com is also in blog stage. Thanks

Nightprowler wrote:

Chen,

I posted a response regarding your exposure to toxic fumes (Vocal Health). Don't know if you've checked it, but perhaps you should - Perhaps it will work for you, and then maybe not. But as I said in that post, if you're still having those difficulties, you should see the doctor, or perhaps another one.
It's nothing to mess around with. I'd hate to see you develop further difficulties, which IS possible.

Again, I'm not a doctor, and don't profess to be one. But check it out. After all, your health is first and foremost. Hey, just trying to help out !!!

Thank you Nightprowler,

I missed your post.   Now read--very well written and considerate!

Chen Sun
www.VocalPosture.com has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.  www.WebBIZcard.com is also in blog stage. Thanks

I don't think we should include anyone unless we've got confirmation his voice was real and done live.   What good is all this singing skills, if eventually, you'll be replaced by a vocaltron in 15 years?

Chen Sun

Then how can you confirm all of your choices? I have seen a lot of these bands live, but that doesn't mean they weren't using technology. There are TONS of shouters out in modern music today that go beyond the scope of what Jagger is doing. Check out 30 Seconds to Mars, The Mars Volta, My Chemical Romance, The Used. It is a different style of music but these guys live are definitely shouting louder, harder and higher than Jagger. Not knocking Jagger, the Stones are Icons. As far as the Priest comment, Priest fans know that the Halford sound is what made the band;) And the Vocaltron is a lot closer than you think, hahaha. They voice changing software that is being created now is way too scary. In 15 years you will be able to sound like whomever you want to:( That's sad actually.

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

In no particular order (mainly 'cause I can't decide)

Steve Perry
Sting
Freddie Mercury
Bruce Dickinson
Rob Halford

Hell this is tough...all the guys mentioned in this thread deserve to be mentioned! I can't make a list without mentioning some others: Michael Jackson who is just an unbelievable performer. Stevie Wonder, Thom Yorke, Billie Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Kurt Cobain hell I just like good performers. I can't decide. Stop making me lol.

~Ben

Those who are afraid to fall never fly

Jaime Vendera wrote:

No joke Jersey Jack, looks like this is a personal opinion list because the singers I mentioned weren't truly technical singers at all. Dunno where you get that. If you want a great performer that I would rather see than my list and yours put together, check out Prince. Laugh all you want, but I have seen this guy perform and his is simpy amazing vocalwise, performancewise, showmanwise...

Excellent!  I love common ground.  Prince it is!

And I also like Jeff Buckley's voice-though I can't say I'm a great fan of his songs.  I probably need more exposure, which I will get right to.

About the list: A lot of singers who frequent the very few vocal forums out there seem to like Steve Perry, etc.   I suppose that this could be a simple matter of taste.  Or age: I could never much stomach the "hair bands" of the 80s, though I can recognize the talent of a lot of these guys.

anyone like Waits? Zevon?

Jersey Jack
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey

Darrison N Bentheim-Murat wrote:

Note on Queensryche, I do agree with Robert if you haven't heard The Warning it a must do album. I would venture to say Queensryche during the Queensryche -Iron Maiden tour (either 84-85) was Incredible Great album to check out, honestly however I was backstage at the original mindcrime tour for some date and although the bands popularity has grown and it's still a great show- somehow the real essence that made Queensryche Speacial seems to have been concentrated in the E.P. and the warning after that it began it's submission into industry hell that is to say the first two records just seemed to come from nowhere and flow with ease and magic. The others have some great material and performances, but seem at moment contrived and labored as if they started looking for a formula. I find it strange that empire sold more then warning.

i have to disagree with that! i think queensryche peaked musically with mindcrime and empire; rage for order was a step up towards the peak and promised land was a step down from it. early on, i think queensryche was pretty much searching for its sound; the ep sounds like it was recorded with a huge iron maiden hangover.

as for tate's vocals, i think he sounds best in that period the warning - rage for order - mindcrime. i don't like his voice on the ep so much. he sounds micro-tonally off-key at many places, for example, in the final moments of queen of the reich, where the "reich" note sounds a bit higher than the target pitch. i know it was an independently recorded ep and production plays a big part but check out this performance of the lady wore black from the building empires tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirDZhvIgPo

i like his vocals on this one more than on the studio version. i know he's using a wider delay here and the vocal harmony during the chorus really makes it sound great, but just his voice sounds better and more controlled to me, compared to the ep. all imho, of course smile

The EP and The Warning can not be surpassed... the later stuff was good too, but really a different singer in my opinion... I like mindcrime... it was a bit more belty... the ep and the warning were bridged and connected and flying!

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Have any of you guys heard the Jon Arch solo album that came out a few years ago... that was the best album of the year... had Mike Portnoy from DT playing drums on it and I thnk the guitarist and bassist from Fates Warning... if you havent heard this album, its called, "A Twist of Fate"... its so great.

This is Jon Arch... he was the first vocalist for Fates Warning, before Ray Alder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJlnL-a7eM

Here is that album that came out a few years ago... its a 5 star on Amazon with raving reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Fate-John-A … B00009N1YM

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

John Arch is another one of my favorites, and both songs on the EP are incredible. I love how he incorporates so many runs in all of his vocals; Paul Rodgers is another incredible singer who can easily riff and run all over the place.

Vats -I was speaking about his live performance above and sorry to tell you if you heard him live during the warning tour and compare it to the mind crime tour- he was much better until rage for order. The E.P is a quite under produced compared to the other albums also he didn't,have the effects going on. but thats why i like it because it is raw- it has a very live feel to it
you seem to be speaking about musically- i was speaking solely about the vocal no doubt Mindcrime was a great work and empire as well. There are songs i like on all the QUEENSRYCHE RECORDS, but I still think Warning is what made Queensryche, Queensryche!

"The Warning" defined Queensryche... and set a bar even the band would never hit again.  I agree Darrison... I like material from all the albums... in regards to "Rage for order"... I always thought it was a bit over produced... kinda noisy... and I was really disappointed when the vocals suddenly lost the altitude on that album... mind crime was the best vocal album, after the EP and "The Warning"... but its more belty... less "heady".

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

How close are we to the vocaltron that Jaime is referring to?  What's the point of learning vocal techniques anyhow, if it's that close?

Last edited by WebAndNet (2008-07-17 10:50:00)

Chen Sun

Jaime Vendera wrote:

Then how can you confirm all of your choices? I have seen a lot of these bands live, but that doesn't mean they weren't using technology. There are TONS of shouters out in modern music today that go beyond the scope of what Jagger is doing. Check out 30 Seconds to Mars, The Mars Volta, My Chemical Romance, The Used. It is a different style of music but these guys live are definitely shouting louder, harder and higher than Jagger. Not knocking Jagger, the Stones are Icons. As far as the Priest comment, Priest fans know that the Halford sound is what made the band;) And the Vocaltron is a lot closer than you think, hahaha. They voice changing software that is being created now is way too scary. In 15 years you will be able to sound like whomever you want to:( That's sad actually.

OK, I'll give you that Jagger shouldn't be in the top 5.  Happy?  smile

Chen Sun

hey guys check out this videos... jorn lande is one of best singers at this moment... what  an amazing technique!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oc1GBHF … re=related

And maybe a few know him, but steve lee from gotthard got a great range and he knos how to sing... cheack it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6aribiX … re=related

have fun!