Re: Top 5 Vocalists in Rock Music

Funny thing about Jorne, he is a very heavy smoker:( But still deos a great job. Why continue to train? Because of the love of the art. Even if you use a vocaltron and cannot produce sound from abuse, the vocalton won't be any use;)

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com
theultimatevocalworkout.com

Thank you for the YouTube videos.  Now I have some idea of what these guys can do.

On the other hand, I'm unimpressed  smile   Steve Lee didn't show how he would handle bass sounds and Jorne is a standard shouter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEe4zMBQlaQ

Platters-- Tony Williams is a tenor with range.

No, I don't know if this is recorded live, as they used to dub over TV shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIyzNISw1Q

James Brown (probably over age 60) with Pavarotti.   Imagine what James Brown sounded like at age 25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5LWwC-cE8

Young Tom Jones (he's lost a lot since becoming older).  This is what a guy with range and can shout and scream and has bass undertones can do.

Please also notice the recording technologies on the B&W TV era wasn't as good as well.

Last edited by WebAndNet (2008-07-18 07:35:46)

Chen Sun
www.WebAndNet.com, Strategic Web Marketing
www.VocalPosture.com has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.  www.WebBIZcard.com is also in blog stage. Thanks

I heard a snippet of Tony Bennet on television the other night with Billy Joel and he sounded pretty darn good!

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89xJPi2 … re=related

early James Brown.  He could sing, dance, write hits, move the crowd, own, lead, and direct the entire band, and whatever genre this is we're hearing here, he probably created it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5aVhLjT7UE&NR=1

early James Brown.   Perhaps a bit corny of an acting job for current tastes.  But, he can scream, yell, and shout as well as anyone I've heard.

Last edited by WebAndNet (2008-07-18 11:12:45)

Chen Sun
www.VocalPosture.com has unique singing-related content-- posture and voice, vocal structure, ergonomics, Zen and ancient philosophies' relevance to voice.  www.WebBIZcard.com is also in blog stage. Thanks

yeah i heard bennet some time last year, i was rather impressed.  Though his voice sounds obviously like and old mans voice it still sounds capable.

I love Tony Bennet.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte
robert@thevocaliststudio.com
www.thevocaliststudio.com/endorsements
www.myspace.com/tvsvox : www.youtube.com/roblunte

Hey guys... what is the Vocaltron anyways?

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Be careful, I just trademarked that word.   Tread lightly please.   You know how I'm so paranoid about intellectual property protection.  smile

Vocaltron TM--a singer who overuses electronics to enhance his voice.

Last edited by WebAndNet (2008-07-18 15:22:24)

Chen Sun

Oh cool... hey guys... can we "vocaltron" a "chest voice falsetto"?... damn this forum is ground breaking.

I should create some t-shirts that say... "I VocalTroned A Chest Voice Falsetto on VC Forum"... Ya , that would be cool to wear at workshops.

"smiley"... no offense, Im just having fun with the gang.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

I'll take 2 t-shirts, large please.

Jaime Vendera
JaimeVendera.com

Been lauging about it all day... I love the idea... because the "vocaltron" represents "tools for the vocalist, technology" & the "chest voice falsetto" represents the pedagogy... inline with our mission statement...

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Can you put the Purple monkeys on there?lol

OmniMediaMasters Mainsite Administration- http://www.MajesticPlanet.com  , Check out my new videos on my  MySpace: http://www.Myspace.com/KingofPanormos

Ya, it can be a purple monkey robot that is singing a chest voice falsetto note... with the text on the back of the shirt... I have to get with my graphic designer.

THE VOCALIST STUDIO
Robert J. Lunte

Wow, I think you guys have been a little derailed here tongue smile

I want one! Medium for me.

- Josh

Domine Deus Omnipotens in cuius manu omnis victoria constistit.
Reach Beyond Everything... and you might find more than you were looking for in the first place.
Lean not to thine own understanding.

I'll take one of the T-shirts in Medium, Please...

And the "Robot" with the Purple Monkeys - My six year old grandson would love one of those- Thank you !  At his age, he's already picking up the mic with me - just watching me "work" has inspired him. Pretty cool, since I couldn't even get him to touch it several weeks ago.... Though he didn't have any qualms at all about the keyboards from the beginning..... Who's to figure ?

Vocalist, Keyboardist, Composer

Sr. Director of Community Development and Operations
The Modern Vocalist
http://www.themodernvocalist.com

BWAHAHA!! i missed you guys smile been buried in busy smile Hey just finished Brent Monohans book "The Singers Companion"...anyone read it?? thoughts????

Ancora Imparo

wow that fates warning tune w Jon Arch ROCKS Robert smile ---sound of little fingers scurrying to add this to their already overflowing "wish list" on Amazon...:) -------

and Vats, the Lady wore Black clip melted me, im all done fer today smile

Happily Ryched up smile

hey by the way my name is Pamela smile keep forgetting to say something about that.....

Ancora Imparo

Aus wrote:

Check out my interviews with Jeff Scott Soto, Michael Kiske (first singer of Helloween), and Joe Lynn Turner (may not be up yet though) on Jaime's Voice Connection site then Rob.

Just wanted to mention that Michael Kiske joined Helloween after their first LP, up to that point Kai Hansen, the founder and guitar player of the band, did the lead vocals... He went on to form Gamma Ray where he also has been singing since 95 or so... I don't know which one of those two Rob mentioned as one of his favourite singer... Probably Kiske as he is much better technically, but Hansen is also incredible and his vocals sounds really agressive, especially on the Helloween debut where he sounds like a freakin' viper:)

By the way, the interview at  thevoiceconnection is really interesting and well done, just like the whole section... It'd be great to read some new ones, especially from the heavy/power metal genre:)

Last edited by Superlukasz (2008-08-29 13:07:46)

I'm not sure if you are still talking about the original topic but my 5 are:

1. Ronnie James Dio: My favorite. Very powerful singer, in ballads and heavy songs alike.
2. David Lee Roth: Yes I said it. He held his own against a virtuoso guitarist. And live he is a world class entertainer. The live shows were just plain fun.
3. Chris Cornell: The Soundgarden stuff especially..
4. Corey Taylor: No he didn't, yes I did. He's able to turn the heaviest random stuff into very memorable material.
5. Sir Elton John.: Timeless vocals.

Also, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Layne Staley and Philip Ansemlo.

Last edited by Zeta (2008-08-31 11:50:44)

I'm with you on Cornell and Roth, but I don't get much of anything from Corey Taylor.

Where words are silent, music speaks.

I've been meaning to re-post on this thread for ages, and just havent....at sometime i made up a list, and its scattered among the fema and insurance paperwork on my desk sad...but here goes...

okay, i totally agree with the Dio, Dickinson, Tate, Halford lovers...Timeless smile 

but im thinking, in terms also for what theyve done for women in rock:

Joplin
Turner
Nicks
Benetar
P. Smith or Smyth? (Scandal)
Lauper
A & N Wilson

shoot my list was so much longer??....

and I have so many new favs, one of which is sharon den adel (Within Temptation - thanks! Robermetal...), Anastacia, and the singers for Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Visions of Atlantis

i know im forgetting a ton-o-people....

Last edited by Rychemaiden (2008-10-20 05:46:03)

Ancora Imparo

1. Daniel Heiman.  Probably got the best metalvocal technique, as he does everything he do on record live. And it sounds great...

2. Jorn lande. his voice is so fukkin huge!

3.roy khan just love his style

Hi all,
Wow - tough choices...

Ray Gillen - (Badlands, Black Sabbath) - A balls out, natural, pure rock voice. Old school influences.

Geoff Tate - Incomparable career recorded and live - one of the pyrotechnicians in any style.

Brad Delp - Smooth, wide range, and I'm sure great to record and mix - pure power and emotion.

Ronnie James Dio - While not the greatest technician, the precursor grand dad to a lot of metal styles. A great blend of opera, gravel, dragons and storytelling.

Sean Verrault - (Wide Mouth Mason) - You don't know who this guy is, but apart from being a fantastic guitarist, this guy goes from blues bitching to Stevie Wonder R&B soaring effortlessly. He'd kick a** if he was in Tower of Power. Wide Mouth Mason is a great funky rock band with a blues tint. A great example of doing it all well - songwriting, singing and playing.

Those are the singers that come to mind. There are some obvious female mentions as well, but these are a few I listen to these days.

SM

Forum Moderator

VoiceWorks Plus / Harmony G / TC Powercore / VoiceOne2.0 / VoicePrism Plus / Konnekt 24D / Harmony M /
Harmony Control - Guitar / VSM-300/200XT

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61852568

Well, here's a news article on poll of the top 100 singers.

Chen Sun

ew forgot to add Anastacia...

Ancora Imparo

Daniel Gildenlow is the best, bar none, not just today but in the history of metal (IMO)

Pain Of Salvation - The Big Machine video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkccK2ff94
2:49 to 3:36, he sings from F2 to G#5 with power.
3:37 to 3:58 shows his grit.

Pain Of Salvation - Iter Impius live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvae5Lt0smI
He's absolutely flawless live, lots of passion, grit and power.

Other singers I love are Jeff Buckley, Russell Allen, Joe Lynn Turner and Dio.

a few of my favorite rock/metal singers:

Ray Gillen - Badlands (R.I.P.) - one of the most soulful rock singers ever.
Carl Albert - Vicious Rumors (R.I.P) - this guy was just flat out incredible.
Geoff Tate - not too good anymore, but was one of the best
Rob Halford - No need to explain
Ronnie Dio - No need to explain

Jens wrote:

1. Daniel Heiman.  Probably got the best metalvocal technique, as he does everything he do on record live. And it sounds great...

2. Jorn lande. his voice is so fukkin huge!

3.roy khan just love his style

I LOVE YOUR STYLE!!!

Daniel Heiman is one of the greatest "newer" singers!!

Jorn is incredible, although it's a shame that most people say
he is a david coverdale rip-off......HE SMOKES COVERDALE!

Roy Khan is one of the most unique vocalists ever, the live Kamelot DVD gives me goosebumps!! ever hear Roys first band Conception? OH MY GOD!!!

I have to add someone to my list. Steve Perry. I've felt guilty lately not putting him on, he really is incredible. I hope he makes a comeback, I really do.

Where words are silent, music speaks.